Sunday, November 24, 2013

Week Thirteen and Our Thanksgiving Feast

Sorry for the later post, everyone. I spent Friday in Logan--I could not believe how much colder it was there than it has been in the valley! It felt as though someone has slapped my face with an ice cube--so freezing it hurt!

Anyway, this week we...

...made some hand print turkey feathers.

...finished up our animal projects. We will be presenting them to the class during our Thanksgiving feast--dinner and a show!

...learned a little in social studies about Native Americans. Ask your child what the difference between hunters and gatherers are.

...sang some silly Thanksgiving melodies in music.

...practiced some overhand throwing in P.E. Go outside and try this with your kids--many of them have improved dramatically!

...received some mustache stickers from the lunch ladies.  
Unfortunately this is the only student I was able to catch before the all peeled them off. 

As fun as they were, not many students liked the feeling of wearing them on their faces.






...had recess in the snow!

...sent home progress reports (on Friday). If you have any questions about this, please contact me and let me know.

You also received a note about our upcoming Thanksgiving feast. Here is the note again, in case you missed it: 

_____

November 21, 2013

Dear Parents and Excited Kids,



Thanksgiving is coming!! We are so excited to celebrate this day in class next Tuesday, November 26th. Since Thanksgiving traditions tend to revolve around food, we have decided to participate in and learn about some of these traditional Thanksgiving foods by cooking our own small feast. I have found cooking to be a great way to practice language skills and following directions, as well as comprehension. If you are interested in contributing to this event, we are in need of the following supplies:



___ 3 boxes microwave stuffing (S.J-2, C.S.)  ___ 3 cans green beans (S.J-2, B.T-2)       ___ 20 paper plates (D.M)

___ 3 sticks butter (D.M)                  ___ 3 cans sweet potatos (C.S.)                 ___ plastic ware for 15

___ 2 cups potato flakes                 ___ 2 cans gravy (H.S-2)



If you are able to contribute any of these items, please send me an email at adean@alpinedistrict.org to confirm which item(s) you’d like to donate. Thank you so much for your support!
_____


If you have already volunteered to bring something I put your child's initials along with the amount you volunteered to bring (if it's different from the amount we need) in parenthesis next to the item.

The items we still need are:

2 cups potato flakes
plastic ware for 15

If you would like to send something with your child, please email me or text me with the item you will be bringing. This helps me keep track of it so I can make sure we don't have double of some things. If you returned the note to school with your child on Friday, I was not there to see it so please get in touch with me via email or text so I can make sure everything is accounted for. Thank you so much for your eagerness to help out--I know this will be a fun and educational activity for our students.


Homework Heroes will be posted on Monday because I wasn't at school on Friday to see who turned homework in on Friday. I know, the suspense is killing me too!


Student of the Week:

 JUSTIN!
FOR HARD WORK IN COMPLETING ASSIGNMENTS, INCLUDING HOMEWORK. GREAT JOB, JUSTIN!


Enjoy the rest of your weekend! There won't be a traditional blog post next week, but there may be a little Thanksgiving surprise. Don't miss it.

Mrs. D

No comments:

Post a Comment